Virginia has a long history of gold mining and prospecting, with gold first discovered in the state in 1804. Some of the best places to find gold in Virginia include:
- The Round Hill area in Louisa County, which is known for its placer gold deposits.
- The Spruce Pine area in Fluvanna County, which is also known for placer gold deposits.
- The Beech Grove area in Nelson County, which has a history of gold mining and prospecting.
- The Virginia Gold-Pyrite belt, which is a region of Virginia that is known for having a large amount of gold deposits.
- Stony Creek: This area is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains and is known for its rich deposits of gold, silver, and other minerals. There are several public areas along Stony Creek where you can pan for gold, as well as a number of private properties where you can obtain permission to prospect.
- Swift Creek: This creek is located in the central part of the state and is known for its gold deposits. There are several public access points along Swift Creek where you can pan for gold, as well as private properties where you can obtain permission to prospect.
- James River: The James River is one of the largest rivers in Virginia and is known for its gold deposits. There are several public access points along the river where you can pan for gold, as well as private properties where you can obtain permission to prospect.
- CVGP - Central Virgina Gold Prospectors
- NVGP - Northern Virginia Gold Prospectors (No social media/web)
- Meet 10am First Saturday each month April-October at Monroe Park, Virginia
- GPAA Virginia Chapter
- Contrary Creek (Defunct)
Mining and Recreational Camps
- Gold Mining Camp Museum, Monroe Park, Fauquier County, Virginia
- Lake Anna State Park
- Virginia Museum of Natural History: This museum is located in Martinsville and is dedicated to the natural history of Virginia. It has a great collection of minerals, rocks, and fossils, including specimens of gold from the state.
- Gold Hill Mines Historic Park: This park is located in Gold Hill and is dedicated to the history of gold mining in Virginia. It features a number of historic structures, including a mine entrance, stamp mill, and blacksmith shop, as well as several trails that lead to gold-bearing streams.
It is important to note that gold mining and prospecting is regulated by the state of Virginia, and you should check for any necessary permits or regulations before starting.
Post a Comment